Powered by Blogger.

how to work from home


One of the major benefits of my job is the ability to telework. I work from home one day a week and it's been instrumental in helping me achieve a healthier work/life balance. I find that I'm productive and produce high quality work without getting muddled in office politics or gossip (which my office does a lot of!) Even though I'm at home on a Friday, I'm far more focused than I used to be in the office on Fridays and it's a really nice way to end the week.

At 5pm (or really closer to 5:30) I can shutdown feeling confident that I've tied up the work week and turn off work and turn on weekend mode.

The key to success here is, as closely as possible, mimicking the positives of your office while removing all the detractors.


\\ HAVE A DEDICATED WORK SPACE OR HOME OFFICE //
This is crucial. Ideally this space is a home office but you may be like me and live in a 900sq ft apartment and a laughing at the idea of home office. Trust me, a desk or table will also work. Regardless of where this space is, it should be the same space every week.  Again, you are trying to mimic your office work conditions so having a dedicated space to do work keeps you focused and allows you to cut out the distractions of being at home. Working in the same space will allow you to establish a working routine. 

\\ SHOWER AND GET READY //
Treat your work from home day like any other work day and do your regular morning routine. Shower, get ready and have your morning coffee all to get yourself in the frame of mind that you're working today. You're not lounging around in yoga pants.

That being said, I do usually wear leggings at home but getting ready like I do Monday through Thursday prevents me from getting a slow unproductive start to my day.


\\ TAKE A BREAK AWAY FROM YOUR WORKSPACE //
This is a good reminder for your regular work day, too. No one can produce for 8+ hours without a break. Well, unless you're a robot. Trying to work for 8+ hours without a break will leave you susceptible to distractions, and there are loads of distractions at home. Take a break to walk around the block, get some fresh air, or in my case take Lucy for a walk to the park. Taking a break and getting away from your desk will force you to reset and break up the monotony of working from home alone. 



\\ PUT AWAY YOUR PHONE AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TURNING YOUR TV ON //
Remove distractions from your day! Today is not the day to get caught up on Scandal just like you wouldn't be watching Snapchat stories all day at work. If you need some background noise, try NoisliCalm.com, or Coffitivity.

\\ PLAN OUT YOUR DAY //
Start your day by setting some goals and planning what you want to achieve while teleworking. This is particularly important to me on Friday's since it is my last opportunity to get everything done for the week. Map out your day in a way that will allow you to get everything done and this map will keep you focused. In case you so get distracted by being at home, you can alway go back to your roadmap for the day to refocus on your priorities.




Do you have any tips or suggestions that help you work from home? I would love to hear them!

-----
All images via Ashley Ella Design

2 comments