Powered by Blogger.

how to top knot


I used to rock the sock bun like there was no tomorrow when I was growing my short hair out. It was the easiest way to get my hair out of my face and still look polished. Now that my hair is a little longer, I'm top knotting without a sock and actually now prefer the more unfinished look. And its pretty easy! 

Step 1: Start with day 2/dirty hair -- your hair will tease better-- and load on the dry shampoo to give your hair a little more texture and oomph and volume.
Step 2: Pull your hair into a high pony and secure tightly!
Step 3: Tease, tease TEASE your ponytail. Really get all up in there. I'm talking rat's nest status. The most teasing the thicker your bun will be. This is the most important step! 
Step 4: Twist your uber-teased ponytail into a bun. 
Step 5: Secure the bun with bobby pins. I usually use about 4 but use more or less depending on how secure your bun feels
Step 6: Gently gently pull and tug on the outside of the bun spreading it out and apart. If you teased it enough and pinned it tight enough, the bun will stay secure but will be bigger and fuller after you pull it  a bit.
Step 7: Pull out some baby hairs in the front to give your bun a more relaxed and natural look
Step 8: Admire your work! :) Now hurry up because if you're anything like me, you're probably late for work!
Bonus step: Get your Elnett on and add a good layer of hair spray so it stays all day. 

I hope that made sense! Steps 3 and 6 are the most important and are what will give your bun the size and volume of a sock bun but without the hassle of the sock. Let me know if you have any questions!

xo

No comments