Powered by Blogger.

a letter to 2016

Inspired by Victoria McGinley, I'll take a picture at the beginning of each of month of this tree I pass every morning during my morning commute to have a collection of photos to show how our seasons change.

Dear 2016,

You’ve got some big shoes to fill. 2015 was a really wonderful and really hard year; I think it’s the balance of highs and lows that can make a year so fulfilling.

2015 brought new experiences and highlighted memories that I will forever cherish. A year full of blessings brought me little Lucy, professional and personal successes, and a few Mary Tyler Moore moments knowing I was going to make it after all. I explored new places, feelings, and friendships. I found my stride and pride in my work. Though there was no highlight greater than when my best friend asked me to spend the rest of our lives together under the fireworks on 4th of July.

2015 also brought lows. Lows too personal to share in this space but the effects of which are worth sharing as I think they are relatable feelings. I'm lucky not to have suffered any eventful lows like a loss of a loved one  or some other major life disruption. Instead my lows were emotional, and I think those lows permeated my being far more than I realized (or wanted to realize). Rather than confronting the source of my stresses or anxiety, I tried to ignore the feelings which left me disorganized and unfocused. I know the best way to address stress is head on and in 2015 I felt the burden of making the choice not to do so.

2016, and the refresh button any new year brings, has arrived at the most opportune time. My hope for 2016 is that I will work towards a greater fulfillment spiritually and remember to place the people, things, and emotions I love above all else. I think I have a good sense of what matters and doesn't though I too often lose sight of that. I challenge myself in 2016 to try to remain present and not lose sight of the bigger picture -- a challenge I know that I'm capable of meeting.

2015 flew by so I want to savor every moment 2016 gives me. I hate to end on Pinterest-y quote, but life truly is a blessing and every day should be cherished. I hope that you challenge yourself to remember that each and every day, too.

Cheers to you, 2016!

With gratitude,
Nicole


4 comments

  1. This is a beautiful post! I wish you all the best in 2016. I have high hopes for this year as well - graduating college and looking to land a good job!

    Ashley | Sunday Brunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley!!

      Early congrats on graduating! Enjoy your last semester -- I promise you WILL miss it! xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Such a thoughtful and well written post Nicole!! Thanks for sharing and glad to see you back on the blog!! I agree 100% with what you said and I know that 2016 is going to be the best year yet for you! Xo

    Kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I also love your point that the balance of the highs and lows is what makes a year fulfilling...that's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete