Powered by Blogger.

pattern mixing with florals and stripes



There is something so effortlessly chic and stylish when it comes to pattern mixing -- when done the right way. And I'm sure you already have the pieces in your closet ready to be mixed, you just have to look at them the right way!

Stick to neutral colors when pattern mixing. You know, all my favorites like navy, black, tan. When you're mixing patterns, they key is to use to pieces and patterns in complimentary colors and neutrals are the easiest way to do that. In this outfit, I'm matching the navy in the stripes to the navy and purples in the skirt.

Start with stripes. Stripes are basically a neutral in my book but bonus points for stripes in a neutral color. Stripes are a really easy pattern to work with. Leopard print is another. And leopard print is definitely a neutral. Stick with thin stripes and try mixing with florals or leopard.

Keep accessories the same color. Here I'm wearing a cognac belt and shoes and carrying a cognac bag. The idea is to coordinate your shoes, purse, belt, etc with each other in a complimentary color. You don't want to add another pattern or color or the look may be too busy. Again, neutrals are key here.

A few notes about fit and what I'm wearing here..
  • This skirt runs a little big. I'm wearing a medium here. I'm usually a medium or large and the large was too big.
  • These wedges are summer perfection. They are comfortable for all day wear -- I'm talking on all day walking back and forth between meetings comfortable -- and can easily be worn dressed up or down. I wear them to work and on the weekends with cutoffs. Oh, and they're 30% off today.
  • I know Kendra Scott is a bit ubiquitous (especially in DC) but I think it's worth the money (especially if you can find a sale) to have a pair of her earrings in your jewelry closet. They are a super easy way to add a pop of color and a nice statement to an otherwise simple outfit.







2 comments

  1. What a lovely outfit. I loved the dress and the bag very much. The footwear is so decent too. Thank you for sharing this post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known Tony and his Social-Hire team for many years and I reached out to them to help grow Bulls Eye Recruiting's social media presence. http://www.digizonemedia.com/social-media/

    ReplyDelete